WEAVERCOOKE has made an unprecedented commitment to becoming the industry’s leader in sustainable construction. We have embraced green building as part of our corporate culture and have worked hard to build a solid foundation of expertise in green building techniques.
Environmental Mission Statement
WEAVERCOOKE is committed to minimizing our negative impact on the environment by embracing environmentally responsible design and construction practices and educating the greater community about environmental stewardship.
WEAVERCOOKE is committed to the following:
• Encouraging clients to embrace Sustainable Design, including ENERGY STAR and LEED certifications
• Preventing Pollution through erosion control and waste management plans
• Conserving resources by purchasing materials with recycled content and purchasing local materials when possible
• Conserving energy by constructing buildings with well insulated skins and energy efficient systems
• Maintaining healthy indoor environments for our staff, subcontractors, and future occupants of the buildings we build through construction techniques that preserve indoor air quality
• Communicating our environmental policy to employees, subcontractors, owners and the public to educate them regarding environmental awareness and stewardship
• Complying with local, state and federal regulations.
At WEAVERCOOKE, we believe that it is our responsibility to be good stewards of the environment. As such, we are proponents of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED program, ENERGY STAR, EarthCraft, Advanced Energy’s SystemVision, NC Healthy Homes, and other environmental rating and verification systems. We express to our potential clients the benefits of pursing certifications for their projects including:
• Receiving third party validation of achievement
• Being recognized in the community for exhibiting a commitment to environmental issues
• Gaining valuable marketing exposure.
Although we are great supporters of these programs, it is our view that ALL projects can and should include sustainable features, regardless of whether any certification will be pursued. WEAVERCOOKE strives to incorporate sustainable construction techniques in all of our projects in order to provide our clients with the most healthy, cost-effective, and energy-efficient building possible. Creating and carrying out a Construction Waste Management Plan, an Indoor Air Quality Plan, and an Environmental Tobacco Smoke Control Policy is part of Weaver Cooke’s culture on every project. In addition, we continually look for and recommend low or no cost options to our clients that will increase the sustainability of their facilities ranging from material selections to energy efficiency.
Sustainable Project Experience
WEAVERCOOKE built and occupies the first commercial building in NC to achieve LEED certification. Our corporate headquarters building was awarded LEED Gold certification in 2007. We also constructed Proximity Hotel and Print Works Bistro - the first LEED Platinum hotel in the United States. In total, we have completed 7 projects that have achieved final LEED certification - the most of any contractor in our area. These projects include 1 Platinum, 3 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Certified project.
In addition to our LEED projects, WEAVERCOOKE is experienced with the EPA’s ENERGY STAR program. We have completed multiple ENERGY STAR certified multi-family facilites, and have several more projects under construction that are expected to achieve certification. We also are experienced with Advanced Energy’s SystemVision program which was utilized on The Griffin Apartment project in Asheville and the EarthCraft program which was utilized on Woodland Village in Hudson, North Carolina.
Weaver Cooke employs 12 LEED Accredited Professionals (LEED AP) and a Healthy Homes Specialist (HHS).
For details on some of Weaver Cooke's projects which incorporate LEED or other High-Performance Standards, please see our Green Project Portfolio.
WEAVERCOOKE Energy Solutions
In early 2009, WEAVERCOOKE created a sustainable consulting division. In this division, we help owners improve their buildings by incorporating sustainable construction techniques. Energy audits, recommendations, retrofit designs, solar, bidding process and management of the construction upfits are all handled by WEAVERCOOKE Energy Solutions. We offer a turn key approach for existing building owners and also provide expertise on tax and utility incentives programs associated with energy efficient improvements. By estimating the potential energy savings and incentives associated with making sustainable improvements, the owner can make a better and more informed decision.
Examples of recent consulting projects include:
• Churchland Primary and Intermediate School Addition and Renovations, Portsmouth, VA - WEAVERCOOKE Energy Solutions provided LEED Administration services for this project for Portsmouth Public Schools. The project includes a 63,800 square foot renovation to the existing school to include new HVAC, window replacement, ADA upgrades and new finishes. A gymnasium addition totalling 10,250 is also included.
• Guilford Technical Community College Business School Renovation, Jamestown, NC - WEAVERCOOKE Energy Solutions provided LEED consulting services for the Business Hall renovation at GTCC. The project includes the 19,800 square foot renovation of the existing building constructed in 1964. GTCC’s goal is to achieve LEED Silver certification.